Friday, June 10, 2011

OH SHIT- The Mavs only Need ONE to Win it

Well why should I care about the NBA finals you ask?? Cause I'm a dumb ass. I'm married to the biggest Mavs fan ever who can't sleep when they win and can't sleep when they lose. It's really an ongoing joke between us since I'm a Spurs fan (well let's be honest, I only watch the games when I have tickets and even then I care more about the dancers and a cold beer... gotta love stadium food). So as play offs were approaching and both the Spurs and Mavs were in, I started teasing Ryan and laughing how they always lose in the most devastating ways. Well this conversation bleeds into another conversation regarding the name of our unborn child (at the time the sex was unknown). So Ryan is suggesting boy names like "Troy Aikman Moody, Emmit Troy, Dirk Troy etc... All based on his two favorite teams the Cowboys and Mavs. So I VERY stupidly say, if the Mavs win the championship you can name our son "Dirk". STUPID!!!!!!!!! STUPID!!!!!!!! STUPID!!!!!! And obviously I wasn't drinking when I said it. I made the worst bet a person could ever make. Here's the other stupid part or could be genius move- a counter bet was never made thereby negating any legitimacy for this bet.

So as the Mavs continued to move forward in the series, I started to get a little freaked about the name situation. I was also freaking about our upcoming 20 week ultrasound. I was more than nervous being the PICU nurse I am. 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 kidneys, 4 chamber heart etc.... were all hiking up the blood pressure and Ryan could tell. I decided this was the time to break his heart and the bet and use all the sympathy I could get. Yup, I did the unthinkable, I re-negged on the bet. Stating I just couldn't risk our son being named Dirk (shit it rhymes with jerk) and that it takes two signatures on the birth certificate, he pretty much caved. So 20 minutes later we found out we were having a boy and I was thanking God I had already called off the bet.

Over the last few weeks, we've finally locked in a real name: Rhett Jameson Moody. Rhett cause it's cool and Ryan and I both like that he and baby boy would have the same "R" to their names and Jameson after my dad, James. And Moody since we think that's the baby's daddy. Kidding....

So what's the big deal right? Only that my entire family and his entire family as well as coworkers, friends and neighbors are all referring to baby as "Dirk". Poor little guy. I think he has found his nickname and I'm not sure any amount of rational conversation or legality of the aforementioned bet are changing anyones mind. So ladies, for your own sake, never ever make a bet on your unborn child's name. And do me a favor, cross your fingers for Sunday's big game- Come on Lebron pull your shit together and kick some Mav ass!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! OMG, that's still hilarious. Love it. And no, MAVS MUST WIN! I promise not to call RJM by the name Dirk. ;) I can't promise that Mark will refrain thought. Haha. Lesson learned, huh?? Love ya and give Ella a big xoxo from me! And tell Rhett that I'm waiting anxiously to meet him! :)

    ReplyDelete